Tuesday, March 27, 2012

{Wedding Project} Clink! Clink! Clink!


There are many variations on the "glass clinking" tradition for a wedding reception. You know the routine: someone starts clinking their flatware against their glass, and this quickly spreads to the rest of the room, growing louder and louder until the newlyweds stand and kiss. At Midwestern weddings, it's inevitable. My twist is borrowed from my cousin's wedding in the mid-1990's; I liked the idea so much I remembered it for about 15 years!

When the clinking reaches a critical mass, Marc and I will stand, draw a name from those of the couples attending and announce the name. That couple must kiss before we will oblige. Tradition AND revenge, all rolled into one. Delightful!


It's simple enough, but there's no rule saying it can't be pretty too. Several months ago, I purchased an inexpensive birdcage set (check out the shopping list below), with then intention of using the larger of the two for cards received. I later got the idea to use the smaller one for names of the couples. It will be a lovely addition to our head "harvest" table.


First, I spray painted them both an antique gold to coordinate with my "theme". I then hot-glued matching, wide grograin ribbon around the top. Next, I printed off the text (I chose to label the smaller cage "Loves") and added a few layers of leftover paper from my invitations to dress it up a bit. Finally, I snipped the stems off of some ivory, cream and blush silk roses, glued them to the sides---along with a few oversized glass pearls---and viola! A lovely vessel from which to draw the names.

But here's my favorite part: in order to just have the names of those attending, I simply put their returned RSVP card in the cage as soon as I've received it. That way, no one is chosen who isn't planning on attending and, well, I just love the look of our wedding stationary so it's a nice way to reuse it.

It's an easy crafty way to put a spin on an old tradition!

Happy Crafting!

Megan

Materials List:
-Birdcages from Save-on-crafts.com
-Grograin ribbon in 1.5" width in Antique Mauve from JKM Ribbon and Trim
-Antique Gold spray paint
-Artificial rose heads from Michaels, JoAnn and MaryNotMartha
-Wedding RSVP cards (ours are from MyGatsby)

No comments:

Post a Comment